英语学习的最终目的是为了交流,因此我们说,掌握实用的英语口语会话练习,对于提升口语水平有巨大帮助。今天,北外网课(北京外国语大学网络课堂)老师就归纳了一些日常生活中的常用英语会话练习(四),带你轻松玩转英语口语。
Topic: At the Dentist 去看牙医
Mary: Hi Sam. What’s the matter? Are you in pain?
你好,萨姆。出什么情况了?你很疼?
Sam: Yes. I have a horrible toothache. I can hardly think straight.
是的,我牙痛得很厉害。我都不能仔细想事情了。
Mary: What is wrong? Do you have a cavity(n.洞,蛀洞)?
怎么了?你有蛀牙吗?
Sam: Yes. The last time I was at the dentist, he told me that Ineeded to get a filling. He warned methat if I ignored the problem, it would only get worse.
是的。我上次去看牙医,他告诉我需要去补牙。他告诫我如果忽视这个问题,情况会越来越糟糕。
Mary: I take it that you chose to ignore your dentist’s warning. Whywere you so foolish? You could have avoided all the pain.
我明白了,你把对牙医的告诫当耳边风。你为什么这么愚蠢呢?你本可以不用遭这个罪的。
Sam: To be honest, I was afraid. I once had a terrible experience atthe dentist. I had to have a tooth extracted(v.拔,萃取) and it was sosore (adj.疼痛的). It hurt terribly.
实话说,我想是的。我曾经在牙医那里有很可怕的经历。我的牙必须要拨掉一个
实在太痛了。痛得很厉害。
Mary: Didn’t the dentist give you any medicine to stop the pain?
医生没有给你什么药止疼吗?
Sam: He gave me a little anesthetic(n.麻醉剂), but perhaps itwasn’t enough. Also, the anesthetic injection was a nightmare. I saw theneedle that the dentist used and it was huge.
他给我一点麻醉剂,但是或许还不是太够。而且,打麻醉药就像做噩梦一样。我看到牙医用的那个针头非常大。
Mary: I completely understand your problem, Sam. Unfortunately, youwill probably need root canal now. This is a very expensive, long andexcruciating(adj.折磨人的) operation. Getting a filling will feel like a picnic(n.[俚]轻松愉快的事情) incomparison to this.
我完全理解你的问题,萨姆。不幸的是,你可能要做牙根管手术了。这可是个费用不底、历时长又很折磨人的手术。和这个相比,补一下龋齿就轻松多了。
Sam: I always feel better after speaking to you, Mary.
玛丽,和你交谈后,我总要感觉好一些。
常用短语回顾
can’t think straight: to be unable to consider things carefully orcorrectly 不能仔细正确地考虑事情
Cut your teeth 尝试做某件事
If you do something new which gives you experience and helps youlearn how to do more advanced or complicated things, you can say that you cutyour teeth doing that thing. Originally, when a child cuts a tooth, the toothbegins to appear through the gum. Cut one’s teeth 的原意是指小孩子在长牙齿的时候,牙齿从牙龈中冒了出来。当cut your teeth doing something时,表示你作为新手开始做某事。
They had just graduated from school and were anxious to cut theirteeth on their job. 他们刚从学校毕业,迫切地希望在**份工作中跃跃欲试。
更多英语口语外教一对一的练习,北外网课也携优质全明星教师团队,打造了一系列精品网络课程,给你实用外教一对一会话练习,详情点击:http://www.beiwaiclass.com/got?iqMJru。
更多精彩,尽在北外网课:http://www.beiwaiclass.com/got?qiYNzi